Sunday, April 14, 2013

Circles

I've been thinking about my life as a mythic detective and one thing that has really stood out to me and continuous reoccurs throughout my day would be the concept of a circle.  On Friday our professor mentioned, "There's no such thing as an ending, there is just a new beginning."  This directly relates to the concept of a circle which I think leads to the concept of origins.  Even if we think we are being "original" and starting something new, there is a very good chance that someone else has already done it before.  What goes around comes around and we are always repeating ourselves. 
I am in a drawing class where we are working on a capstone project for the end of the year where we were assigned to complete three drawings on anything we have observed.  I was recently in Oahu and was going through several of the pictures I had taken at Pearl Harbor and decided to focus my capstone project on the wars of our world.  My first piece is focusing on WWII and includes a series of images that overlap each other.  My second piece includes the Iraq war images, and the third is a futuristic possible war with North Korea.  A common element I am using within all of these pieces is a clock to record time.  As the clock has evolved from the old fashioned roman numeral to today digital, our weapons and technology have evolved with this as well.  One thing I am hoping to put across with these images is the fact that we are constantly going in circles as a clock does.  We are making the same general mistakes in war and always starting another leading me back to my point that nothing is original, within both our mistakes and our ideas.  Are we truly evolving as a society? Or are we always going to make the same mistakes since nothing is ever really new?

No comments:

Post a Comment